Sustainability at ITP
SMIT Website Proposal
The open source wiki used in the ITP community. It’s very extensible and has a number of customizable features. I was able to figure out how to setup groups, pages, template file, CSS adjustments and the basic steps needed to create my own formatted wiki menu and styling.
Some of the features I explored for this project include -
- Custom CSS skinning & appending a template file
- Cookbook/ShowHide menu add-on script
- Cookbook/SideBar Special for custom side-bars.
My goal is to research sustainable minded technologies to implement into the ITP curriculum. My first step is to research the OLPC innitiative headed off by Nicholas Negroponte of the MIT medialab. His $100 laptop design exemplifies the potential of a computer system that has a uniquely efficient sustainibly driven design.
OLPC Sustainable Technologies -
- Inexpensive LCD Screens found in cheap DVD players, dual-mode LCD – $35
- Linux OS
- Flash Drive – Low energy consumption compared to normal hardrives
- mesh network
OLPC hardware link -
Low Power microcontrollers
Low Power RF -
Lowpower systems – ‘Fleapower’
Low voltage components
- Junk Pile Project